Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Death, Accidentally

So, working on a new (to me) group client, and one of the things we're looking at is the group term life insurance. They're currently with a carrier that's not known for this product (they tend to more individually-tailored plans), and so I asked about the rates. The client gave me the number, and I asked if that included Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D), as well. She told me "I wish but it does not."

Which is fine, and helps me keep things in order (and perspective) as I'm putting together the quote. But it reminded me of a philosophical conundrum I've occasionally pondered: what's the deal with AD&D [ed: channeling Seinfeld, are we?]?

I ask because here's the premise of that product:

"So you're telling me that my widow/widower needs twice as much money if I get hit by a bus and die instantly than if I get cancer and endure a long, expensive death?"

Again, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong, evil or fattening about this type of coverage; I just don't understand why folks would pay extra for it. Now, if there was a rider that paid double for getting cancer or having a stroke...

But that's another post.
blog comments powered by Disqus